Friday, April 8, 2011

And the winner is... Mbeulekhe!

Lots of stuff going on.. but the most important thing is that I got my site yesterday!!!

I'll be in Mbeulekhe in the Linguere region of Senegal. So basically my next two years are gonna be HOT! Here's a map which shows Linguere (in the middle). My site will be a little to the left of that.


I'm really excited, even though I'm not going to be close to the coast. Some of my friends will be in the same regional house as me, so at least I'm not stranded. And one of the girls in mt Stage is only going to be like 10k from me, so we'll be able to bike to each other and have America time when we need it.

I know some stuff about my site so far, but there's a possibility that it's all wrong. I think that my host father is the head of the local Koranic school, that I'm the villages first PCV, and that I'm going to have ELECTRICITY!!! Needless to say, that's going to be awesome. Fingers crossed!

The way they reveal our sites, or "de-mist" as it's called here (as in de-mistification), is really cute. They blindfold everyone and then put you on a giant map on the basketball court. We were all so excited. A Senegal tv crew filmed us finding out. We probably look like ridiculous little kids.

I'm headed back to M'Boro right now, and I'll be there for 2 nights, so I'll be back on Sunday. Then we get our stuff together and all ship out all over the country for "volunteer visit," where you spend the week living with a volunteer in your region and get a chance to see what life will be like once you're there. I'm really excited! I can't believe it's all going by so fast.

I'd like to apologize for my lack of skyping/calling while I'm here. I'm just so pressed for time! I know that stuff will calm down after swear-in and then I'll probably be bugging all of you to skype 24/7. So I better go because they've started honking the horns for us to leave. Ba suba!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like everything is going so well for you ... I'm going to call you soon ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Fae! I was just down at American for the Cicchino awards and I took Julia along for a tour of the drama department.
    The dean told me the place has not been the same since you left. (That last bit is bullshit of course but it's nice to be nice to PCV's)

    ReplyDelete